Beiträge von Nicklouse

so what has been going on today. lots of use of a marker pen and a carbide tip.

so innocent and sweet looking

mark grind and repeat until no more rocking.

i think you get the idea.

next was the DSN timing cover. i was aware that some people had been having issues with the cam sprocket position and have been asking about shims for the cam gear which is all not needed..........

so i put the cam assy on and the Crank gear was way proud of the cam gear eeer WTAF

played about with the bearing locating plate new and old. both measured the same and had just barely enough end float. but will do.

so the cam gear is not coming forward time to play about with the crank gear so out with the marker-pen and guess what

well some pics

the new crank has a nice radius on it which stops the crank gear from bottoming out.

gear modified and the gearset line up.

start adding bling

check timing tomorrow.

also set up the primary gear clearance way tight again with all new parts.

a short video i did to show what these brackets did. please note no other mounts are fitted. engine mounts are old but good and bolted up. i am rocking the engine on the block (no head fitted). the top mount in good condition stops the rocking the lower ones just stop the engine sliding on the engine mounts.

[video=youtube_share;c0vDblRHWdA]

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/media]

one of the best pullers out there.
    http://www.guess-works.com/Shop/Parts/display.htm?id=501
    yes i have one.

i also recommend using something to stop the flywheel rotating.

and a photo to show the difference in size.

also note the thread pitch on the Guessworks drive bolt. you can get much more pulling force.

and here is John showing how it is done.
    [video=youtube_share;uzLZhPGdpyE]

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/media]

it is good having a neighbour who paints

now that the exhaust has the Lambda sensor position worked out back it goes so i can continue with the flatish floor.

cant get the exhaust fully in the tunnel, but i can work with that.

ahhhh poly bush.

poly bush where it is cold and where it is hot a "rose" joint or rubber.

two top mounts is enough. but can be a problem with a LHD car. the lower ones have a use but only after the top mounts have been sorted.

adding the lower stabilisers will NOT reduce engine rock.

poly as a stabiliser bush is not that good it tends to just break into parts. (more on the hot side) i use the DSN retrosprot stabilisers with poly bush on the body and a metal ball joint (Rose) on the engine unfortunately the one on the thermostat does not work on LHD cars but the standard replacement on the right of the car works very well as the "Rose" joint is held in double shear.

back to your question. it will not hurt anything but it will not stop any movement.

it depends on why you are thinking about fitting them.

if you want to control engine rocking then nope. fit a second one at the top.

if you want to stop the power unit shearing the engine mounts then yes they help.

here is a video where we have engine mount fitted and bolted in place. but no head or upper engine mounts.

i would like to say they are good to have but they may not do what you are hoping to do.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    [/media]

so today i have been doing breathers. well i have been looking and scratching my head trying to work out how to do it as the KAD brakes cause routing issues.

well

and the two from the front of the engine

yes they fit under the bonnet

i have a set you can have for postage and a beer.
    the doors are off but i will just need to get the hinges out and fit my new ones. they are from a UK car so the UK drivers are a little more worn than the UK passenger ones.
    the studs have been replaced as needed.

let me know id you need more info and i will then sort them out.

Ok next issue has bee where to fit the Lambda sensor. standard Mini place is not possible as i have a gear linkage housing in the way. dont want to put it in the LCB as it will only read half of the cylinders. so the only place is after the gear linkage housing and before the silencer starts.

Diddi,
    Correct and that is why I have them. But as there is no option to run the left one any more are the MED pinion mount has no possibility of using it as I have before (since the 80s) and I often see people advocating the addition of the lower mounts to reduce engine rock. This was done to show the reality. I would have preferred to have continued with my original set up but not possible.

thanks to IDE things can move on a bit

hoses need to be cut to length and pipes made.
    exhaust routing adjusted
    and stabiliser mounts optimised not that the lower ones actually do anything.

here is a video of how much the lower stabilisers do.

this is with the engine mounts (good but old) done up tight. no head or upper stabilisers so me just rocking the block.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    [/media]