• Hello my name is John, and I am from the USA. My wife is originally from the Madgeburg area and is the reason I feel in love with Minis. I have over the years worked on roughly 400+ Minis and ultimately started my own Mini specialization shop, McGees Custom Minis. A little over 10 years ago I did my first Honda Converted mini with a B18c1. Then I dabbled in doing Suzuki G10 Turbo's for a little bit, few more B16 and B18 powered Minis, 1380 Fuel Injected 5 Speed, Supercharged A-series, and finally 3 years ago developed my own Honda D16 (1.6) Sohc Engine Conversion Kit. Since then I have built numerous cars with our kit and sell our conversion kits for the DIY. We are planning to relocate possibly next Summer to Germany near Madgeburg. My dream is to build another Mini for myself to travel Europe with and partake in Mini events.

So currently I am planning my German mini build and finding it a bit frustrating on what you can and can't do. I do not like original, I am a hotrodder at heart. I currently have a 1961 Morris Minor with a V6 Camaro Fuel Injected Engine that I built over the last few years. My 1976 Clubman Estate has a Honda D16 in it as well. I plan to sell the Mini prior to coming over to build a new one that is more then likely going to be A-series powered, potentially with a supercharger. I am still learning about TUV, H-Plates, etc. This build will be more modest, just a clean, lowered, and slightly upgrade in power.

I am also slowly learning German, languages are not my strong suit, but hopefully emersion will help tremendously. I am potentially thinking about bringing some of my kits over to Europe if there is a market for them. I'd be curious if you have a subframe tested / engineered if you can get a certificate for the rest? I am still researching and still have a bit of time to get this done. We have travelled a few times to Germany and I look forward to embracing your culture, albeit restrictive car culture. HA!

• Welcome John,

Wow, great Custom made Minis,if you have some questions we are here.

Greetings from Germany

My main concern is what I can do there. In the state I am from anything over 20 years old you can do whatever you like. No safety or emissions testing done. Just install a big engine, air suspension, and off you go for better or worse. I see it as kind of the wild wild west, UK being somewhere in the middle, and Germany being quite restrictive. I have a vision of what I want to build. I am also not sure if I will continue the Mini business in Germany or not. I will continue it in America from abroad and see how that works out. If there is perhaps enough interest and not a lot of red tape, then maybe. I look forward to the beautiful scenery.

• Hi John,

your Minor looks very nice . And, of course the minis, too. :cool:

Greets

POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeremy Clarkson

• Hi John.

Some nice road leagal solutions you may find in Germany.

Built and leagalized even w/o endless money. :biggrin:

Gruß
    Der BlechBernd

• Hi John.

Some nice road leagal solutions you may find in Germany.

Built and leagalized even w/o endless money. :biggrin:

I will have to reach out to you at some point. I have my hands full right now trying to finish a Woody, Pickup, and Saloon. D16 automatic, D16 Manual, and K20 conversion. I may have to stick some conversion kits in the container when we come if it is viable.

• Hi John.

Maximum respect for your work!!! I think here in germany you will suffer from restrictions.

Ich kam ich sah ich ging wieder.

• hello john,

welcome to the "club" :thumbs_up:

there are some really nice minis among your different builds :heart:

in germany you have restrictions but in the end you must find the right guy at one of these numerous tüv locations and always involve

him in your builds from the beginning.

i know such a guy at our local tüv but if you want to relocate yourself in the area of magdeburg it's not interesting for you cause too far away.

brgds

chris :beer:

• Hi John,

moving over to another country, means learning new rules and regulations. One way is to indulge in the old world and quit with your business. The other way is to take the challenge, studdy all the rules and regulations, find the little gaps and back doors and continue your business in the new but more regulated world. You have lots of experience and successfull projects in you backpack. There is no reason to let all these behind. In an enviroment where almost everything is allowed, its always easy. And everybody can do easy. But in an enviroment with stricter rules, only the best are successfull. Just take it as another level. Of course there is a market for your projects. Not only in Germany, all over Europe. And you can bring your personel american touch to it. Making your projects roadlegal in Germany is not only a challenge and hard work, its also a quality label.

So go on and face the challenge.

so long

the Doc

• This is how I always think. My wife thinks things are always black in white, I think there is a lot of gray area. I'm up for the challenge. By not being a citizen I will have to play by the rules, but hopefully find a means of achieving the goals I want.

Took some new pictures of the kit and accessories last night.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!